Filming in Trøndelag

Free Film Commission service

Midgard Film Commission Norway can provide free service and support to professional international projects aiming to shoot in our region. Get in touch with one of our film commissioners for discrete and project aimed service.

  • What can we do?

    1. Matchmaking
    We can help you get in touch with possible regional producing partners, service production companies and other high quality film professionals.

    2. Financing opportunities
    We can help you identify the different financing opportunities available for your production in Norway.

    3. Location tours
    In addition to providing you with reference images from locations that can match your projects needs, we can arrange location visits and help you get in touch with a location scout in our region. We also cooperate closely with the national and other regional film commissions of Norway to host discretionary and tailored location and familiarisation tours for potential high impact projects.

  • Good to know

    No film permits needed for filming in public areas!

    The “freedom to roam” act allows for easy permit processes when filming outdoors. In general local police and municipalities are very cooperative, and can assist in helping closing down roads and areas for shooting your film.

    Filming on private property requires a permit either from the owner or from city authorities. A permit from the police is needed if the filming requires special traffic arrangements (i.e. re-routing or stopping traffic).

    Regulations apply for motorized transport (helicopter, snow cats, snow mobiles et.c.) in the wilderness,  mountains and national park areas. Allow for some planning time to work out logistics with a line producer or location manager who knows the area. Applications are sent directly to the respective municipalities, and/or to the national parks.

    Responsible filmmaking with Sámi people

    Pathfinder – guidelines for responsible filmmaking with the Sámi people and Culture have been released now and you can download the document HERE

    The Pathfinder guidelines are a joint initiative from International Sámi Film Institute, the Sámi Filmmakers Association, and the Pathfinder filmmakers reference group.

    Film unions and associations

    Norwegian Film and TV Producers Association |
    The Norwegian Film and TV Producers Association comprises approximately 100 independent production companies. Agreements between the Film Workers Association (NFF) and the Producers Association govern crew rates and working conditions. The Producers Association also governs agreements with screenwriters, directors, composers etc.

    Norwegian Film Workers Association |
    The Norwegian Film Workers Association has over 1000 members, technicians and crew from all departments, from film and television production.

    Norwegian Film Directors |
    The Norwegian Society of Cinematographers (FNF) |
    Norwegian Actors Equity Association |
    Norwegian Film Distributor’s Association |

    Usefull links

    Different Norwegian SAFETY HOTLINES I

  • VISA

    VISA information

    Norway is a member of the Schengen Area. As a general rule, everyone who wishes to work in Norway must have a work permit. However, separate rules apply for applicants from EU/EEA/EFTA countries, and Nordic citizens (from Iceland, Denmark, Sweden and Finland) are fully exempt from the requirement to obtain a work permit.

    Citizens of European Union (EU), citizens covered by the European Economic Area (EEA) agreement and citizens covered by the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) convention have easier access to travel and reside in Norway. As a citizen of the EU/EEA/EFTA, you can freely travel to Norway and start working as soon as you arrive. You can live and work in Norway for up to three months without having to apply for a permit. If you are seeking employment in Norway, you may reside in Norway for six months without a permit.


    A visa application must be made on the form for the purpose, and submitted in person to the nearest Norwegian foreign service mission. If there is no Norwegian foreign service mission in the country, another Schengen country may represent Norway. This country will then process the application on behalf of Norway.

    Some service missions, example given India, have outsourced the handling of VISA applications. Please follow this link to the Norwegian foreign service missions. More information and guidelines at Norwegian Directorate of Immigration.


    Norway has signed a number of conventions for the avoidance of double taxation. See a full list here.

  • VAT Refund for foreign film production

    A foreign film production company can get a 25% VAT refund on most Norwegian services. (The VAT on hotels and transportation is 8%, and 15% on foodstuff).

    To apply for a VAT refund your company must not be registered in the Norwegian VAT register (meaning that the company does not sell goods or services in Norway for more than NOK 50.000,- in one year.).

    Some attachments must accompany the application:

    -Original invoices
    -Certificate from an official body in the country where the company is domiciled, confirming that it operates as described in the application (equivalent to Norwegian Business Registry will be sufficient)
    -Certified export declaration for goods which are brought out of the country
    -Authorization in original if applying by proxy

    The deadline for applications is 6 months after the end of the calendar year to which the application relates. It must be applied for at least NOK 2.000-. Applications are usually processed within 6 months and payment occurs within 4 months after the application is received by the tax office.

    Two exceptions: You cannot deduct VAT on food and craft services, nor can you deduct VAT on vehicles carrying normal “white” licence plates. However, if you rent vehicles with “green” licence plates, you will get a VAT refund on these vehicles and the fuel used by these vehicles. Vehicles with green licence plates are normally cargo vehicles used for transport of equipment.

    Please note: This overview has been prepared for informational purposes only and should not be construed as tax advice or relied on for specific projects. Although efforts have been made to remain current, laws change, and therefore, this information may have been revised. Please contact your Norwegian production partner or your legal advisors to confirm any laws or the effect of VAT refund on your project.

  • Collaborations

    Midgard Film Commission Norway collaborates with:

    Norwegian Film Commission (the national office)

    Oslo Film Commission (covering the region around the capital city of Oslo),

    Western Norway Film Commission (covering the western part of Norway) and

    Northern Norway Film Commission (covering the north part of Norway).

    Eastern Norway Film Commision (covering Innlandet County, Norway)


    Midgard Film Commission is a member of

    Nordic Film Commissions (NFC)

    European Film Commissions Network (EUFCN)

    Association of Film Commissioners International (AFCI)


  • Production Companies / Service production

    Here is a list of film production companies set in our region that can co-produce, with crew and resources that might assist your production:

  • Post-production

    Post-production companies in our region that can deliver high and professional quality in different departments:


  • Green Filming


    Green production guide in Norway (in Norwegian)

    Green Filming Consultant

  • Drones

    Using Drones in Norway

    Please visit Norway’s Civil Aviation Authority for the current regulations and definitions. An unofficial translation of the regulations is available here.

    A list of certified drone operators in Norway can be found here.

    There are separate rules for filming with drones in National parks

    Please get in touch with us for more information

    Drones are subdivided in three categories:

    RO1 Drones with a take-off weight of maximum 2.5 kilograms and with a maximum speed of 60 knots (111 km/h). Drones of the R01 category must have a fail-safe function.

    RO2 Drones with a take-off weight of maximum 25 kilograms and a maximum speed of 80 knots.

    RO3 All maneuvers exceeding previous specifications.

    Simple operations (lower than 120 meters altitude) with smaller RO1 drones can be carried out without approval from the Civil Aviation Authority, if:

    -during daylight hours, and at altitudes lower than 120 meters above ground or water.
    -more than 150 meters distance from people, motor vehicles or buildings not controlled by the aircraft operator, except during take-off and landing.

    Display flying may only take place if authorized by the CAA Norway. For use of RO1, pilots have to make a statement that they adhere to the relevant rules. The statement can be found on the web site of the Civil Aviation Authority. The operator must prepare an operations manual (OM) that describes the planned operations. Once the declaration form is sent to the CAA and one receives a receipt message from our archive, the operator can commence operations.

    RO2 AND RO3
    Flights in categories RO 2 and RO 3 requires a license / authorization from CAA Norway.